If you have an intense fear of the dentist you are not alone. Many patients feel excessive anxiety at just the thought of visiting a dentist. At Complete Family Dentistry we know how important oral hygiene is to your overall health. We are passionate about providing dental care to everyone and are dedicated to not allowing fear to be a barrier to a healthy smile. That is why we have implemented an alternative to traditional anxiety ridden appointments known as sedation dentistry.
Sedation dentistry could be a great option if you have:
- Fear or anxiety about going to the dentist
- Difficulty getting numb at the dentist
- A severe gag reflux or TMJ
- Time constraints and want a lot of work done in one visit
- Sensitive teeth or gums
- An aversion to needles
Benefits of Sedation:
Sedation dentistry provides a relaxing and anxiety-free experience for people receiving dental treatment. Patients who receive sedation commonly have no memory of undergoing their dental appointment. Often times we can get a lot of dentistry done in a short amount of time, frequently in one visit!
Any Dental Treatment can be performed using sedation dentistry, including:
- Routine dental procedures
- Periodontal therapy/ Deep dental cleanings/ Root plane & Scaling
- Crowns & Bridges (including CEREC same day crowns!)
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Root Canals
Oral Conscious Sedation:
Oral sedation (given by mouth) is an extremely popular option for many people precisely because it does not require the use of needles. All of the medications we use have long safety records after decades of use, and several even have “amnesic” properties, meaning you will remember little to nothing, even though you are conscious throughout the treatment.
How Oral Sedation Works:
- One hour prior to your dental appointment you take a mild sedative on an empty stomach
- A friend or family member drives you to our office; they do not have to stay for your appointment
- When your appointment starts we will evaluate you to see how you are doing. If you are still feeling anxious we will give you a little more medication if necessary.
- We will not begin until you are completely relaxed and give us permission to get started
- During treatment your vital signs are constantly monitored for your safety
- Your dental treatment is performed while you are completely relaxed
- Your friend or family member drives you home
- The day after your dental appointment you will feel completely normal except for one thing, you probably wont remember anything about your dental visit!
We also offer nitrous oxide for those who need only relaxation, not sedation.
Nitrous oxide, sometime called “laughing gas”, has been used in dental offices for nearly 100 years. It is administered with oxygen through a small mask that fits over your nose to help you relax. Nitrous oxide provides a light-headed or even euphoric feeling, which is quick to wear off so there is no “hangover” effect. After having nitrous oxide patients are able to drive home after their appointment.
Please contact our practice to schedule a sedation consultation and find out if sedation dentistry is right for you!